Forgiveness is probably the most basic tenant of leading a life connected to one’s life’s purpose and is the greatest gift we can give ourselves. Many people have said that the longest journey is from our head to our heart. We couldn’t agree more. How often has your head told you that the right thing to do is to forgive, but your heart doesn’t feel it? This state of purgatory is uncomfortable, but there is so much potential for growth here.
Forgiveness is not about condoning one’s actions. It’s about releasing you from the residual torment of the situation. This is when you will find the freedom. We believe that until your heart fully embraces the forgiveness, you will need to do more work on letting go**. Don’t be discouraged. This is a journey and all you need is the willingness to forgive and the rest will follow. The Universe responds to what our heart/soul/intuition knows to be true. This is why it is important that our heart/soul/intuition is convinced we have forgiven before we can reap the benefits of what the Universe has to offer.
BENEFITS OF FORGIVENESS
- Your Health Will Improve – Studies* have shown that forgiveness decreases stress and promotes overall well-being.
- You Can Focus on More Important Things – how much real estate does your current resentment take up in your head? When we are focused on a resentment or the wrongs others have done to us, we give that situation power and way too much “airtime”. Forgiveness frees our mind to focus on issues that are truly important; allowing us to live a life more in line with our true purpose.
- Relationships with Others Improve – When we embrace the goal of forgiveness, we believe our ability to empathize increases and our connections with others improves.
HOW CAN YOU FORGIVE?
- Live in the Solution – While it is important to talk about how you are feeling, don’t stay there too long. Living in the Solution is about recognizing when it’s time to move on and focus on healing. As Tony Robbins has said “if you are not growing, you are dying”. Growth happens when we live in the Solution.
- Practice Positive Affirmations – We become what we believe. Time will ensure your heart becomes in line with your head if you’re persistent.
- Surround Yourself with Positive People – Sick attracts sick and nothing changes if nothing changes. Catchy phrases for sure, but there is immense truth in both. When we surround ourselves with other naysayers and negative people, we invariably take on this energy. If we want to break free from the resentment holding us back from forgiving, we must change with whom we associate and set up appropriate boundaries with those who would rather us stay in the muck of the resentment.
- Meditate – There is no controversy that meditation is a powerful tool to seek the answers that often allude us. Be quiet and if you are willing to hear the answer, it will come.
WAM Healing Centre can help you find the forgiveness in your heart. For more information about our services, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Lawler KA, Younger JW, Piferi RL, Jobe RL, Edmondson KA, Jones WH. The unique effects of forgiveness on health: an exploration of pathways. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, April 2005